Thursday, March 20, 2014

Seating chart

This could be fun.


 
I think this would be a fairly typical setup, with the voice where a singer would be if they were singing with an orchestra- alternatively, the voice could go on the right side, with the woodwinds. Right now, this diagram looks very left-heavy...I mean, the piano, strings and trumpet are on the left side...So there's also this:
 
I'm on the fence as to the tpt/hn and cl/fl, who should sit on the right and who should sit on the left. I like having the brass in the middle, but if I do that, the trumpet's bell is going to be pointing straight toward the audience. And with the strings and woodwinds sharing roles and themes, I think that this setting might actually be more appropriate:
 
 


There's a lot of dialogue happening between strings and brass, which relates to the Acadie vs British theme. This puts my flute and clarinet in the middle and keeps the trumpet from pointing straight out to the audience. It also has my horn across from the cello, which I like since I like having the two of them play together, same with violin and trumpet. Viola's just kind of...There, as are the woodwinds. Another alternative that I kind of like is this:
 
 
So the cello is in the middle, with flute on one side and clarinet on the other. This pairs violin with trumpet, viola with horn, flute with clarinet and has cello on its own. 
 
...I think my seating plan will probably be in the works for a while; since I'm using the ensemble in so many different ways, the final seating plan will have to take these into consideration so that there's no moving around throughout the piece, but the players are all able to see and work with each other. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment